It’s Easy to be Green:
FAQ About Eco-Friendly Promo Products
April 22, 2023 marks the 51st commemoration of Earth Day, making this time of year the perfect opportunity to reflect upon and identify ways to reduce our environmental footprint. Promotional products may not be one of the first things that comes to mind when you think about ways to eliminate unnecessary waste and embrace more sustainable business practices, but we’d argue that they should be. With so many affordable and practical options to choose from and so many ways to make a difference, there is sure to be a natural fit for your next gift, giveaway, or merch purchase. Read on as we address some of the most common questions regarding eco-friendly promotional products.
Q: What are my eco-friendly product options
A: There are a few major routes you can take when it comes to environmentally conscious promo products.
- You can buy promotional products made of recycled materials.
- Wheat straw is the rigid stalk left over after wheat grains are harvested and a durable alternative to plastic, used to make everything from lunch boxes to pens.
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) is the most widely recycled plastic in the world (rPET) and can be used in everything from umbrellas to tech gadgets like a charging cable.
- The exterior fabric of all Parkland bags is made from 100% recycled water bottles.
- Save the trees with tree-free notebooks like the Stone Paper Jotter that is made from natural stone, or the Apple Peel Journal that features organic paper made from apple peels.
- You can buy promotional products from brands who donate a portion of their sales to non-profit organizations who help the environment.
- 1% for the Planet: 1% of sales from these EcoSmart products are donated to philanthropic efforts, like building wells to provide consistent clean drinking water and planting trees.
- Welly: 1% of all Welly Water Bottle sales go to charities that build wells and bring a consistently clean drinking water supply to areas that need it. The 18 oz Welly® Traveler Copper Vacuum Bottle features a natural bamboo wrap on the bottom and can keep beverages for at least 12 hours.
- Other brands that donate a percent of sales to help environmental causes include Miir®, Corkcicle®, and Modern Sprout®. MiiR® is also a certified b-corp brand, a certification validating their social and environmental performance. Shop other b-corp promotional products such as lip balms and produce bags.
- You can buy reusable promotional products that make it easier to avoid disposable plastics, like single-use straws, bottled water, disposable cutlery, and plastic grocery bags.
- A food storage product like the Bamboo Fiber Lunch Box with Utensil Pocket is an all-in-one solution for eating sustainably on the go.
- A branded reusable straw leaves you with no excuse for using disposable plastic straws because it’s so convenient.
- A recycled cotton tote like the Split Recycled 5 oz Cotton Twill Convention Tote can be given away at a training event or conference, and then kept in a car so it’s readily available for your next shopping trip.
- Say goodbye to regular plastic bags by making the switch to silicone storage bags. They are dishwasher safe and perfect for storing fruits, veggies, meat and more.
- Lightweight, flat, and easy to mail eco-friendly products perfect for direct mailings help you engage customers without using excessive petrol in shipping.
Q: Why do we need to use eco-friendly products?
A:We’ll let the numbers speak for themselves:
- By 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish (by weight). (Earthday.org)
- Over a million marine animals die each year from plastic consumption. (Sea Turtle Conservancy)
- In 2018, landfills received 27 million tons of plastic. (EPA)
- Forests provide jobs to over 1.6 billion people and are key ingredients in 25% of all medicines. (One Tree Planted)
- In one year, an acre of mature trees absorbs the amount of CO2 produced by a car driven 26,000 miles. (Arbor Day Foundation)
- Americans use 100 billion plastic bags a year, which require 12 million barrels of oil to manufacture. (Center for Biological Diversity)
While these statistics are daunting, reversing the damage starts with small steps in the right direction. One person bringing their own bags or packing their lunch in reusable containers may seem futile, but when practiced habitually over the course of a year, the impact is substantial.
Q: What are the benefits of going green for my brand and business?
A:Choosing promotional products made from recycled materials, products intended to replace single use plastics, and products from companies who champion environmental causes sends a strong message to your organization’s stakeholders about your values and priorities.
- Unite and inspire employees: With a shared interest in environmentalism, employees can come together in support of a cause bigger than business goals. They’ll feel proud to work for a company that cares about the world and gives back, and they’ll likely share this pride throughout their home communities.
- Attract new business: By publicizing sustainability initiatives, you may attract new clients, business partners, or community members who appreciate and align with your mission.
- Save money: If you give a one-time gift to your employees like a durable set of reusable cutlery or a reusable coffee mug, you eliminate the need to buy single use plastics for your office break room or cafeteria.